Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:51:20 +0100

Andrew Solovay wrote:

> FWIW, I don't find the idea of Nandans marrying men to be "incredibly
> weird and mind-boggling". I just didn't know whether Heortling custom
> for "women in men's bodies" allowed them to marry men, or only
> extended as far as allowing them to dress/work/worship like women but
> not marry.

I just find it interesting that nobody feels the need to question whether Vingans can marry, but they do for Nandani, despite the fact that no prohibitions are mentioned in the writeup.

Jane's point about Victorian attitudes is, I think, very close to the mark, though lesbianism is much more acceptable as titillation these days.

Regards,

Bruce