Childbirth in Glorantha

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:25:37 -0000

Hi there,

Something to remember is that there's going to be incidences (I won't say lots) where unexpected people give birth.

  1. From the Bible John the Baptist whose parents Zachary and Elizabeth were "advanced in years and barren" when God told them they would have a son.
  2. Celtic mythology where Math's nephews' Gwydyon and Gilvaethwy were turned first into a stag and hind, then wild sow and boar, and then into a wolf and she-wolf. (I believe that they alternated gender). Each year they had offspring.
  3. Twins with Arnuld and Danny Devito...err, never mind that one.

Anyway magic and the will of the god(s) can get around the pitiful barriers of so-called physical limitations. I suspect that with the proper HQ a Nandan can give birth whether they've got female equipment or not. Do they actually physically become female? I suspect some do and some don't. There's probably a HQ version of the old trip to Stockholm/Copenhagen though I suspect the change actually provides fertility in Glorantha.

Are they considered female by Heortlings? Probably. Is there a disconnect between acknowledgement and acceptance? Probably.

Oliver