Re: Shortchanged Orlanthi Women Folk

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:38:38 -0000

Just to chime in on Redalda....one of the few contributions I've made to Glorantha was some filling in detail work on Elmal. When it came time to decide if Redalda could be a sub-cult of Elmal, I argued for it, on the logic that in Elmali clans, there would be the same need for some women to take on warrior roles as seen in Orlanthi clans, so women should have the same access to warrior magic. I was really glad when the decision came that this would be allowed.

In a way Redalda is the inverse of Vinga, in that (as a sub-cult) you take two affinities from Elmal, and just one from Redalda, and you don't have access to the other Elmal sub-cults. Still, with combat, brilliance, and bless horses as affinities, I don't think Redalda suffers too badly. In fact, given Redalda's broader remit (the horses of the tribe, as opposes to protection of the clan), in some ways I think Redaldans makes an easier hero to incorporate into stories than Elmalis. They also have their own potential mythic progress, into and out of Redalda as a stand alone cult, sub-cult of Elmal, or sub-cult of Ernalda Allmother.

Anyways, Redaldans as a sub-cult of Elmal are still emphatically female, still the wife of Beven the Rider just sharing in his father's magic and his job. Which doesn't mean they aren't thought of us strange by most people, but hey, most heroes are thought of as strange by most people!

--Bryan