Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:49:43 GMT

In message <200407221521.00140.geard_at_...> Jennifer Geard writes:
>Donald, on Nandan and Vingan sexuality:

>> Unless I was exploring Heortling sexuality in a game it's irrelevant,
>> Nandan is socially female just as Vinga is socially male.
>
>How do you play Heortlings without some consideration of their sexuality?
>
>It's not as though they favour enforced celibacy: it's fairly important to
>figure out who's a potential bedmate and who's a potential marriage partner.

A bedmate is someone you fancy and fancies you. That is nearly always a subset of the people present and will at times result in celibacy. I agree both Vingans and Nandani restrict their choices more than followers of other gods but that's a decision they've made.

Heortling marriages have many functions, an Orlanthi all are between followers of Orlanth and Ernalda for the purpose of creating and raising children. Then there are the variations some of which are primarily sexual relationships and others which are for convience of sharing stead and family responsibilities.

I have no difficulty with the idea of two widowers bring up their children together and one joins Nandan to do the job better. That in heortling terms is a form of marriage. What their sexual relationship, if any, is neither here nor there.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/