Re: Re: Girls will be boys and boys will be girls

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:45:01 GMT

In message <000f01c471b9$b48b8f30$5be55443_at_grooveroom> Groovelord writes:

>I kind of imagine that sexuality, like all other things in Orlanthi society,
>serves practical purposes. I kind of get the impression that homosexuality
>in Orlanthi culture is more of simply a personal choice, as opposed to an
>'alternate lifestyle'. As long as a husband or wife fufill their marital
>obligations, have children, and raise them well, homosexual relationships of
>either type are perhaps joked about, but that's it. Since only heterosexual
>relationships can produce children and control inheritance, blood ties and
>the distribution of property, homosexuality doesn't to me seem as disruptive
>to Orlanthi society as, say, adultery or incest.

I would see a homosexual relationship as adultery just as a hetrosexual relationship is. Children have nothing to do with it, it's bringing a third party into an existing relationship, usually with out the consent of one of the existing parties. There is a high potential for causing an almighty row and a large proportion of Orlanthi rows end up in violence - which between a married couple is kinstrife. It isn't the modern objection to to adultery on moral grounds, it's the knowledge that such acts lead to socially damaging violence all too often which makes it wrong.

>This puts an Orlanthi steadwife in the unique position of being relieved
>when her husband is found to be having a relationship with a fellow
>weaponthane or such. "Thank thunder it wasn't another woman!"

If she isn't bothered by the relationship (whether hetro or homosexual) it isn't really an issue, unless her family decide to make it one on her behalf. There's no "Guardian of Orlanthi Morals" to do anything about it - third parties who try and stir up trouble that way can expect to be told where to go with the suggestion being reinforced by a sharp object.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/