RE: Cool stuff and NPCs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:13:53 +0100

> Obviously the gifts make a difference here

Oh yes, of course. And even for Humakti, multiple gifts on one weapon aren't all that common.

> You can see that the iron
> greatsword is, at +23, as good as your characters magically
> boosted weapon.

Actually that's hardly comparing like with like: a greatsword is better than a normal sword to start with, and you had a 5W ability attached to it. And the total was +13... Try working it out for the same greatsword with the same stats but made of bronze.

Oh, and you had a Uroxi, didn't you? Could he still go berserk with the iron hampering him?

Simple example? A normal sword. +3. Now make it of iron. +6, 3 up, but a -6 to all your magical skills, and to any other magical equipment you may have on you. If it was a great-sword, you're at +5 to +10, and a -10 to all other magic.

-10 is a nicer number to do sums with, it means all other magical augments drop by 1, exactly, if you use automatic augments. You're +5 up due to the iron. If you use three afffinities and two other magical widgets, and they've been dropped by 1 each, you break even. Whether it's worth it depends on how much magic you tend to use, I suspect. We tend to use the "SWAT Team" approach when we really want the opponent dead, with everyone putting their magic onto one target.

But now remember that that -10 also applies to the healer who's trying to put you back together (unless you're Humakti, and that's geased out of bounds already). And that magic can be used directly, not just as a augment.

Dunno. Overall, it may be worth it. But it's much less "Wow, iron, he's hard!" than it used to be. So I'll be using RR's quiet delete of a sentence, and let Glorantha carry on unchanged.