Re: The Righteous Wind

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:06:30 -0000

> So, was Harvar one of these 'solar influences'
> (i.e.Elmali/Yelmalion)?

To an extent, I'd say Solar, yes, but definitely not Elmali: there is a serious divide between Elmali and Yelmalion influences in the Far Place. Very crudely, the larger lowland tribes (Vantaros, Princeros, Dinacoli) are more Yelmalion, more supportive of central rule, while the highland tribes, with their more centrifugal Orlanthi instincts, lean more towards Orlanth's loyal thane Elmal. Thus, Elmali suffered alongside Orlanthi foes in his seizure of power. Ironfist's solar ideas are Yelmalion, if not positively Yelmic. There are no depths to which this man will not stoop!

>I read somewhere (can't remember where) that he had Gagarthi
> housecarls, where did they come from/fit in? Is Harvar a
> follower of Gagarth himself? And if so, how does an avowed
> outlaw seize power?

Outlaws seize power the way any other usurper does - by being feared or seeming the least worse option! But no, Ironfist is not worshipper of Gagarth's, just someone who regards them as useful weapons. I would imagine that he sometimes uses them as 'deniable' killers. I touch on this more in my 'hero'band, Gagarth's Wolves, which is up on the Issaries fan contributions page.

Overall, the best stuff on the Far Place has been done my John Hughes - check out his posts on the Digest for lots and lots of great stuff.

Mark

Mark Galeotti