RE: Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:54:31 +0100

Jane
>>What period's that? It's one of my favourite attacks,
>>personally, aiming at the forearm when your opponent's
>>got more reach than you. Only bit I can reach :(

>From what reading I've done on this sort of thing (and lurking around the
Riddle of Steel crowd who tend to be big 'art of fence' buffs) I'd think its probably drawn from the battlefield archaeology at Wisby, but feel free to correct me Paul.

Wisby was ummm.... [google,google]... 1361, so maille-and-plate would be the top of the line kit at the time - an amputating arm strike would probably still be feasible with an arming/long sword against that, although once you upgrade to the proper C15th harness a generation or two later then this becomes less reliable; you start to need dedicated can-openers against that sort of stuff I think.

Interestingly a forearm strike is one of the scoring (ie. assumed to be lethal) blows in Kendo as well, so there's a fair degree of agreement between the eastern and western traditions in this area, which isn't that surprising really - a sword's a sword for a'that.

Regards
Luke