Re: Term of pregnancy

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:14:01 +1000

Jennifer wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how long a normal, full-term, human pregnancy lasts in
>Glorantha?
>
>Given the different length of the year I'm not sure whether to assume that a
>pregnancy lasts five seasons (one year minus sacred time) or whether to go
>for rough proportionality and say that a child conceived in Fire Season would
>be born in Storm Season.

The topic of pregnancy - human and animal - came up in the writing of Thunder Rebels. Greg's advice back then was to go for

Gloranthan term = [term in earth days] *294/365,

that is, the length of the Gloranthan year divided by the earth year.

Applying this to human pregnancy in Glorantha, we get *280*294/365* = 225, which I'd shorten to 224 days or 4 seasons, giving the same day and week to both conception and birth, (barring Sacred Time complications ).

Cattle have a very similar term, which is tempting to start mythologising about. :)

There's a complication of course. Seasons are different in Glorantha as well, so straight stretch and squeeze calendars never quite work. Most species have a definite breeding season, and birth is timed to coincide with the best time of year for food resources and overall survival. (Even humans still have a residual annual fertility cycle).

So it's never easy :) See

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/florafauna.html#cattle

We really should start a FAQ for perennials like this. If not to give definitive answers, but at least to lay out the major theories or to collectively chant YGMV.

Or perhaps start a thread seeking to list the major controversies and perennial questions. :).

Hope this helps.

John

--
nysalor_at_...                     John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

... a flying arrow, a crashing wave, night old ice,
a coiled snake, a bride's bed talk, a broken sword,
the play of bears, a king's son.

- Havamal 86.