RE: Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:40:39 +0100

> From: Silburn, Luke

> Interestingly a forearm strike is one of the scoring (ie.
> assumed to be
> lethal) blows in Kendo as well, so there's a fair degree of
> agreement between the eastern and western traditions in this
> area, which isn't that surprising really - a sword's a sword
> for a'that.

FWIW, our semi-competitive semi-re-enactment fighting has the next stage in this as "yes, and I've trained to fight left-handed. I swap hands." I doubt very much whether this would be practical in real life, you don't have time and you've got blood spouting from severed arteries if it was a bad hit, but it makes for good drama if your HQ tends towards Xena.

(Yes, I *have* used this in a story, I confess. With great care, and under extreme circumstances, but I'm still not quite convinced. Roll a 1 and spend a HP, I think.)