Re: Term of pregnancy

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:03:40 GMT

In message <41300689.7030502_at_...> John Hughes writes:

>The topic of pregnancy - human and animal - came up in the writing of
>Thunder Rebels. Greg's advice back then was to go for
>
>Gloranthan term = [term in earth days] *294/365,
>
>that is, the length of the Gloranthan year divided by the earth year.
>
>Applying this to human pregnancy in Glorantha, we get *280*294/365* =
>225, which I'd shorten to 224 days or 4 seasons, giving the same day and
>week to both conception and birth, (barring Sacred Time complications ).

It's never going to be that accurate anyway, approximatly four seasons seems a reasonable answer with the precise time determined by what makes for the best story.

>Cattle have a very similar term, which is tempting to start
>mythologising about. :)
>
>There's a complication of course. Seasons are different in Glorantha as
>well, so straight stretch and squeeze calendars never quite work. Most
>species have a definite breeding season, and birth is timed to coincide
>with the best time of year for food resources and overall survival.
>(Even humans still have a residual annual fertility cycle).

And with intentional control over fertility women are going to tend to emphasise that to ensure their child gets the best chance. Of course there may well be mythological elements as well.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/