RE: Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:57:48 GMT

In message <000201c48cd8$e14ad960$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>>> Wisby was ummm.... [google,google]... 1361, so maille-and-plate
>>> would be the top of the line kit at the time

>What areas of Glorantha use this type of kit?
>
>I'm pretty sure the Orlanthi, the main area of interest for many of us
>if only due to the current Issaries productions being set there, do
>*not* have anything this advanced, do they/we?
>
>Them there Westerners? The Lunars?

There's a picture of a knight in full plate on pg 76 of Glorantha, IttHW which implies at least some in Loskalm have it. The HQ book on pg 53 shows a Seshnelan knight in elaborately decorated plate. I think the various areas of the west have most medieval types of armour between them and of course not everyone has the latest stuff.

>If Orlanthi weapons are designed to face mail shirt, helmet, and shield
>at best (and I think they are), then what happens when they meet
>whatever it is that Lunars wear? (Which IMG is Roman, but I have no idea
>what current theories are).

They struggle to make an impression against many units but that's more to do with troops in formation closing ranks than anything else. It's the heavily armed foot who are the problem rather than horsemen though, with the latter you can always lie on the ground out of easy reach of the cavalryman's weapons until the horse is above you whereupon you jump up and either cut the saddle girth or hamstring the horse. The more heavily armoured the cavalryman the easier that is. Risky, but members of the warband are going to try it.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/