Re: Re: Shields

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:27:20 GMT

In message <cgq22k+bjve_at_...> "markmohrfield" writes:

>> I suspect the reappearance of the mace as a weapon in the
>> middle ages reflects the greater use of armour and smaller
>> shields. A mace would be easier to use than a sword against
>> plate armour.

>Did it ever go out of style? Aren't some of the soldiers on the
>Bayeux tapestry using clubs and maces?

As a soldier's and warrior's weapon maces and clubs were rare for at least a couple of millenia prior to the middle ages. They appear in ancient Egypt before metal working was common and then drop out of use almost entirely. Jane's mention of Sarmation cavalry being beaten by a bunch of peasents with clubs is one of the few references in ancient literature. The Spartan's bulking out the back ranks of their phalanx with helots armed with clubs is another.

I'm not familiar enough with the Bayeux tapestry to be sure but IIRC there are some peasants who are not in any of the battle scenes and are wielding clubs or agricultural implements. The single knight with a mace has been identified with as a bishop who reportedly carried a mace because as a clergyman he shouldn't spill human blood.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/