Re: Re: Shields

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:04:35 +1000

Donald:

>Sarmatian cavalry were
>definitely in Britain but that's a couple of hundred years before
>Arthur. ...
>My suspicion is someone with little knowledge of the period has
>seen a drawing of the Sarmatian cavalry and gone "Oooh, knights"
>and added that to the "Arthur was a Roman theory".

Overt 'historicising' of any mythic tradition can only lead to trouble (pick any world religion). Even if Arthur (or Harmast, or Argrath ;)) *was* historical (and I tend to be an Arthur-skeptic) , the stories about him grew and were embroidered by independent sources for social and storytelling reasons. Myth is bricolage - taking whatever's lying around and using it for your own purposes. History comes a very poor third or forth after entertainment and ideological shaping. This is surely true even for Glorantha, where myth has a fairly direct link to the structure of reality.
*
*Recent bad films aside, my own understanding of Artorius Castus and his Sarmatians' connection to the Arthur story is that distinctly Sarmatian mythic and storytelling elements (the grail, sword in stone, story structures) and visual elements (dragon banners) are to be found in the Arthurian mythology, elements that can't be readily tied to Celtic traditions. I'm sure there are high and low (as well as Hollywood) variants to the thesis - I've read articles in 'Archaeology' and 'Folklore' as well as Reid's popularisation ('The Dragon King'?) - so it comes down to not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Assuming there is a baby of course :)

There's some nice stuff online in recent issues of 'The Heroic Age':

 http://www.mun.ca/mst/heroicage/issues/1/hatoc.htm

Cheers

John

--
nysalor_at_...                     John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

... a flying arrow, a crashing wave, night old ice,
a coiled snake, a bride's bed talk, a broken sword,
the play of bears, a king's son.

- Havamal 86.