Re: Arthur, Gor, Orlanthi

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:30:05 +0100

John Hughes wrote:

> Even if Arthur (or Harmast, or Argrath ;)) *was* historical
> (and I tend to be an Arthur-skeptic), the stories about him
> grew and were embroidered by independent sources for social
> and storytelling reasons.

At which point I have no choice but to plug my friend Chris Gidlow's recent book "The Reign of Arthur" (Sutton, 2004), available now from all good bookshops[*].

Roderick writes:

> A variant would be to have convenient pits (created by Ernalda
> magic?) to stop the horses. A series of gopher or rabbit-sized
> holes will wreck a cavalry charge. *Then* let the Gor types pop
> up out of yet more pits and slaughter the remnants of the charge...

I had problems reading past "the Gor types". Thank you for that.

Jane wrote:

> The Orlanthi are right. Stick to oral tradition. It's more accurate.

Dara Happan anal traditions are *far* purer than Orlanthi oral traditons.

> Flying fighters. In particular, Orlanthi ones, the Vanganthi being the
> obvious example. How do they go about fighting?

Wind Children use "sword-sticks" (long-bladed spears?). I can see some Vanganthi being influenced by this. But then again, Wind Children have wings...

Cheers, Nick

[*] by definition.