RE: Flying fighters?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:09:45 GMT

In message <000701c48dc1$d03fc060$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>It seems possible to me that flying can be used as a "Battle-taxi", just
>like horses. Fly to chosen position, land, then fight. The chosen
>postion being somewhere where the enemy really *didn't* want you to be,
>like just behind their shield wall. Of course, to do this, getting cut
>off in the process, you need to be very good, very suicidal, or have
>"Daredevil" as a cult virtue. It fits, doesn't it?

Flying troops are going to make for very different tactics from the RW particularly when you start getting whole units of them. Not only are there going to be units of skirmishers who throw javlins while flying past and those who use flying to get into position before attacking on the ground but also shock troops charging with lances in the air. Conversely there will be tactics to counter these attacks such as training the rear ranks of units to turn and face enemies landing in their rear or maybe small groups to intecept such attackers.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/