Re: Re: Cool stuff & NPCs

From: steve_at_...
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:45:46 +1200

Adept wrote:
> There's supposed to be a good book around on the subject "The
> Medieval Warhorse", or something like that. Does somebody
> happen to own that?

I have "Knights and warhorses" but that's mostly about political implications rather than practical.

> PS. As far as I know the "warhorse" that kicks and bites in
> combat is a b-fantasy myth. Suvi, that knows a lot about
> horses suspects that the secret of a knights horse charging a
> wall of humans lies mostly in the wicked spurs that the
> knights use on them.

A couple of oft repeated stories from the local wargaming/medieval re-enactment community are a) The only recorded horse charge that broke a formed up pike block happened when a leading horse was shot and killed dead just short of the pike heads, and with its momentum rolled through the pikes, causing a gap that the following horses could exploit - horses could not otherwise be made to charge home against long sharp pointy things.
and
b) at a waterloo re-enactment in France, a unit of foot ran away from a unit of horse that they _knew_ (from the script) would not charge home, because a hundred charging horses is really terrifying at a visceral rather than intellectual level. According to the script the foot were supposed to stand fast.

Note that I have no idea where these stories came from, so they could be complete rubbish, but I think they suggest that a horse charge on prepared infantry with spears/pikes is a battle of morale (bravery?) If the infantry break, they are in really deep trouble. If they don't then the cavalry is not necessarily going to do very well.

IIRC Williams cavalry at Hastings were repelled repeatedly by Huscarl footmen, and only penetrated the wall when it broke the line to charge the retreating cavalry (too much bravery? too much recklessness?) so those are the sorts of contests I'd probably run for a cavalry vs infantry contest.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell 	steve_at_...
Wellington, New Zealand