Fighting While Flying

From: Greg_at_...
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:05 -0700

Friends,

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
> Subject: Flying fighters?

> Flying fighters. In particular, Orlanthi ones, the Vanganthi being the
> obvious example. How do they go about fighting?

I have gneerall envisioned that the Orlanthi fly in a prone positon. Sure, a clever guy might be able to ride one like a horse, or even stand or surf on it. But in general they fly looking more or less like Superman.

Important point: they have to always keep moving. The wind is no a wind if it stops. Hence, they zoom around.

The Solar folks, on the other hand, have a kind of hovering flight and generally are upright when they are in the air. This stabiity gives them more accuracy with missile weapons, but they are also more vulnerarble to the same.

A couple other notes:
A common tactic of the Solars (or other Orlanthi) against the flying Orlanthi is to have their eagles or large hawks hovering WAY above the battlefield, adn when the Oralthi are zooming around they have the eagle pounce on the flyers. This severly disrupts their flight and, if lucky, will drive them right into the ground. Of course, the Orlanthi also have their own hawks and sylphs flying CAP overhead.

As far as impact from a flyer: force = mass x velocity. Fast movement adds to the impact.

But in general, MY Orlanthi flyers generally engage in missile combat against ground troops. Even dropping rocks is effective. And they have their combat skills against other flyers, whether swooping eagles, lumbering gargoyles or sylphs.