RE: Re: Cool Stuff & NPCs

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:31:24 +0100

> There is something I've long wanted to ask those who know
> more about metallurgy than I do:
>
> Is it possible to construct medieval-style plate armor out of
> bronze? I wasn't sure if it had the strength when stretched
> into large plates without being VERY heavy? I'm not trying
> to argue against it, I wuz jest wunderin' (scratch head)

Out of Gloranthan bronze, yes, I think. It isn't much like RW bronze, more like RW low-quality iron. (Would this be good enough? Or do we need the properties of higher quality steel?)

RW bronze, I'd say probably not. There *was* bronze Full Plate, but I gather it looked rather like wearing a dustbin. RW bronze is soft. You can bend it by hand. Straightening swords over one's knee in mid-fight was not unknown, I gather :(