Re: Tarsh Exiles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:28:29 +1300

Ian Cooper:

>Having been thinking a little about them. My GUESS would be that if a
>prime way in which the Esrolians differ from Heortlings is the stress
>they place on the Ernaldan philosophy of "There is another way", then
>the Exiles who worship Maran Gor would would differ by the stress
>they place on the philosophy - "Violence is always an option".

"Violence is always an option" is said by Orlanth and probably original with the Storm Tribe, considering that Vadrus founds the Hurt-Everything clan.

>Or in
>simple terms the Esrolians have a lot of peace clans, and the Exiles
>have a lot of war clans. Two polarities of 'Orlanthi' culture.

 From the Exiles order of battle in Dragon Pass, the exiles support about four different cults: the Earthshakers, the Moon Haters, Baron's Friends and the Old School. So I doubt that the cult of Maran Gor is the mainstay of Exile religion and see the exiles as a band of groups opposed to the Lunars in Tarsh.

The Earthshakers are obviously the cult of Maran Gor. The Old School might be very traditionalist Orlanthi (AFAIK this is connected with Ernalda as the She-Who-Waits cf glorantha: intro p156 and Thunder Rebels may/will have more details). The Moon Haters is probably some specialized cult opposed to the Red Moon (In Enclosure #2, Martin Laurie connected this with Mitchuinn "a war spirit who had once been human" mentioned in the Redline history: third wane). I have no idea who the Baron is (he could even be Mitchuinn for all I know).

It's been pointed out to me in another forum that the Exiles are four tribes. I don't think that these cults would have a one-on-one relationship with the tribes but that their supporters are spread among many clans and peoples among the tribes (and many clans might just be ordinary Orlanthi). The cults would then provide an form of inter-tribal government and so whenever the kings and chiefs make a decision about external affairs, they consult these cults in addition to their own people.

Just my opinion anyway.

--Peter Metcalfe