Re: Cool stuff & NPCs and armour

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:00:31 +1000

At 05:39 AM 31/08/04, GBosch wrote:
>There is something I've long wanted to ask those who know more about
>metallurgy than I do:
>
>Is it possible to construct medieval-style plate armor out of bronze? I
>wasn't sure if it had the strength when stretched into large plates
>without being VERY heavy? I'm not trying to argue against it, I wuz jest
>wunderin' (scratch head)

  You can; it was done. But it's heavy, and less protective than iron (strength vs weight tradeoff). Faced by iron or steel weapons, it loses - but it's better protection than lesser armour.   The style will be a little different, because of the different metals. You could play with ribbing (shaping the plates so they were corrugated) for strength, though - done though casting, it wouldn't be all that much more expensive. And in HQ, you could have the spells/feats Shape Bronze and Temper Bronze to make it easy...   Bronze chain isn't as easy as iron chain, either. You *have* to have rivetted links, or they open up under almost any impact. Iron can get by with unjoined links, because of its strength and resilience.   Generally, bronze brigandine, ring or scale is easiest, from a real-world armouring POV; plates, discs or rings applied individually to a backing with rivets. Lamellar (samurai or Chinese style; plates wired or tied together) is also possible.

  BTW, making patterns with scales of different metals in scale and lamellar can get very attractive, and was done. It was also done in chain; I've seen iron chain with bronze and brass links making patterns.

| Paul May               | kax_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | the_kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | spell_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | games and freeforms done while you
| eFax no: (520)832-2559 | wait (some lead-time required)

"The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." -- Epictetus, Greek philosopher

---