Re: Tarsh Exiles

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:41:20 -0000

Peter Metcalfe
>"Violence is always an option" is said by Orlanth and probably
>original with the Storm Tribe, considering that Vadrus founds
>the Hurt-Everything clan.

True, IIRC it is either the first or second law.

Mark Galeotti:

Agreed Mark. Peter puts up with my questions very well - thanks Peter.

>I somehow don't feel they would look to Storm Tribe philosophies but
have
>their own. In some ways it is Ernalda who is distinctive, having
stepped
>beyond the Earth Tribe without renouncing it. So in effect yes, MG
et al are
>much more violent than Ernaldans (and thus Esrolians), but for their
own
>reasons, because theirs is a hungry Earth which needs placating and
>appeasing if it is also to give life.

Sorry I was assuming, and I should probably have stated my assumption, that the Exiles are Orlanthi [Alakoring + some Heortling] and are therefore do worship the Storm Tribe, but that the violent/martial aspects of Orlanth are not moderated by Ernalda worshippers amongst the Exiles. Instead they sacrifice to the violent side of the Earth. J Hughes suggested that violent aspects of male gods would be rejected by the Ernaldans following their experience in the Helm & Sword war. In contrast the I suspect the the exiles reject the more peaceful female earth godesses and encourage the more violent aspects; and that the martial aspects of gods like Orlanth are more prevalent than the peaceful ones. Agreed should they win back Tarsh, many may return to more peaceful ways...

Greg's comment on Orlatnhi worship amongst the exiles was:

>3.How many Exiles worship Orlanth? 85% as usual?!
>Probably. This is the kind of fact that is up to you to determine
for your game.

So I guess it is a case of whatever 'feels right' for any given narrator. IMHO the proximity of Kero Fin means that the exiles are making a last stand around one of Orlanth's most holy places, so it feels right to me that they have a significant proportion of Orlanthi clans. YGMV.

I seem to remember [DP presumably] that many of the clans have turned the back on the plough and live by the sword.

>From the Exiles order of battle in Dragon Pass, the exiles support
>about four different cults: the Earthshakers, the Moon Haters,
>Baron's Friends and the Old School. So I doubt that the cult of
>Maran Gor is the mainstay of Exile religion and see the exiles as
>a band of groups opposed to the Lunars in Tarsh

Useful, Peter - thanks. Revoloutionary armies are united by their desire for revoloution but not their reasons, or beliefs in what should come after. My guess is that in HW terms these groups are probably hero bands with their own wyter, not religions.

>It's been pointed out to me in another forum that the Exiles
>are four tribes

Do you mean the Glorantha digest; If so I'll search the archives for info.

Ian