Re: Re: Shields

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:19:55 GMT

In message <ch220c+ac4t_at_...> "Tim Newman" writes:

>The first Roman engagement with cataphracts was against the Seleucid
>army at Magnesia in 189BC, and the cataphracts broke two legions
>with a frontal charge. In most later battles the Romans did better,
>being adaptable enough to change their tactics according to the
>enemy. Most of the Roman problem was the shallow formations they
>formed up in, only 4 ranks - most ancient world infantry were in
>deeper formations of 8+ ranks.

I wasn't aware the Seleucid's had cataphracts so hadn't looked for a reference that far back.

>I don't think the length of the spears used had much effect, as
>there are perfectly good examples of sword or axe armed infantry
>beating cavalry attacks. It's more a matter of the depth of the
>formation and the willingness of the infantry to stand. Confident
>close formation infantry will stop a cavalry simply because the
>horses won't run into a solid object. It's when the infantry are
>wavering and gaps appear that they have trouble.

Maybe it's just that lots of long sharp poles improves the confidence of the infantry that they can keep the cavalry away. Certainly it seems to have been the standard counter even if not essential.

>> Dragging the subject back to Glorantha it's likely that the
>> result of a cavalry/infantry conflict will depend more on the
>> steadyness of the two sides than anything else. So a heortling
>> fyrd will probably run when threatened by pretty much any heavy
>> cavalry whereas a regiment of Sun Domers wouldn't. In the event
>> that the infantry stood few cavalry units would actually charge
>> into contact. Exceptions probably being Sir Ethelrist's knights
>> and some Lunar Guard Cavalry.
>
>Rokari and Esrolvuli knights, and Carmanians too might also be
>exceptions.

Some maybe, I don't think that most would as knights were effectively countered by both Swiss and Scottish pikemen. The knight's reputation for riding down foot was largely based on actions against poorly trained infantry. They probably would charge and then the horses swerve away at the last minuite.

>If any Heortlings have experience at this it's probably
>the neighbours of the Esrolvuli, who have probably faced heavy
>cavalry charges more than anyone else.

I'm not sure the Heortlings do, certainly I don't see an tactic they've developed to counter a massed cavalry charge.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/