Re: Re: Cool Stuff & NPCs & swords

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:49:41 GMT

In message <eci9j0t32mqofktsm4sj10vbnig3cv4ven_at_...> Stephen Tempest writes:
>"Paul" <kax_at_...> writes:
>
>>I could see if he's still got any blades left. He doesn't have access
>>to the sealed-atmosphere workshop at uni any more... Seealed suit,
>>sealed workshop, external air supply, being really careful. But
>>lovely results. ;)
>
>This really begs the question: how did the ancient Egyptians and Picts
>make such weapons? Did their bronzesmiths regularly die (of
>poisoning, I presume) at a young age?

It's only a century since hatmakers routinely died of mercury poisoning because of the production process and half that since the dangers of working with asbestos were formally recognised.

Even if the bronzesmiths recognised the dangers it doesn't follow that they'd stop doing socially important work.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/