Re: Kero Fin; dark Ernalda

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:55:50 -0800

Bryan

> I know Kero Finn has a role in Orlanthi myth, and is sacred in
> various ways, but I'm wondering how much it matters in the life of
> your typical Sartarite.
>
> For example:
> - Would particularly devout Orlanthi of some means travel there on
> the equivalent of a pilgrimage, just to gaze upon it? Or climb it?

To climb, probably.

> - For that matter, would climbing it be considered a good thing
> (pilgrimage style) or bad thing (trespassing on sacred ground)?

I think it's a good thing.

> - Would it be revered in art, be it song or other depictions (think
> Mt. Fujimori in Japan for what I'm thinking of here).

In poetry...

> - Is it even seen as actively sacred, versus somewhere that important
> things happened in myth, so yes its important, but who cares who
> grazes their sheep on its lower slopes?

It's Orlanth's mother -- that sounds actively sacred to me.

Peter

> >Instead they sacrifice to the violent
> >side of the Earth.
>
> I don't think this is possible. If the Ernaldans sacrificed
> to the violent side of the Earth, they would be Maran Gors, not
> Ernaldans.

I know Pam Carlson would disagree, and I think she's right. Ernalda is a broad enough deity to incorporate a Dark Side -- similar to the way that Orlanth can be a farmer without having to be Barntar (via the Orlanthcarl subcult if memory serves).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein