RE: Re: Cool Stuff & NPCs

From: alexei mcdonald <alexei_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:55:06 +0000

'lo folks:

Paul wrote:

>wrote:
>
> > Check out the hardness of hammered bronze Jane. Remember that the
>best cannons were bronze, not iron for the longest time.
>

> That was for resilience and manufacturing purposes, not strength -
>effective manufacturing of iron cannon took quite some time. Iron
>cannon are lighter for the same throw weight and purpose.

Iron cannon are heavier, I'm afraid, which is why bronze was preferred for field guns. Naval cannon were of iron since they could be kept in action longer without melting down, and the weight issue was less crucial. Iron was also much cheaper.

Some examples : The British Napoleonic light 6 pdr was available in bronze at 1350 lbs or iron at 1650 lbs ; the light 9pdr was 1350 lbs in bronze and 2300 lbs in iron.

Alexei