Re: Armour

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:28:52 +1000

At 07:59 AM 6/09/04, APlace wrote:
>Paul: I'll leave titanium out because of its cost,
>even though it recently got a heap cheaper.
>
> Actually, there's a good reason not to use titanium (at least for
> the helm). There's a wellknown story in my neck of the woods about the
> SCA fighter who made himself the ultimate helm out of titanium - light,
> shiny and virtually indestructible. At the first fighter practise, he
> suffered whiplash. Turns out that a heavy helm, with all that inherent
> inertia, protects you much better.

  I heard about that. That's a good reason to have an iron helm. ;) There's less use to inertia in body armour, though, and since titanium is now only about twice the price of stainless steel, and I know of SCA fighters with stainless steel armour, someone will do it at some point.

| Paul May               | kax_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | the_kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | spell_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | games and freeforms done while you
|                       | wait (some lead-time required)

"The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." -- Epictetus, Greek philosopher

---