Re: Shields

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:16:41 -0000

I don't know....one of the features of heavy cavalry is that they can trample almost any amount of light infantry usually....they charge fast enough that the footmen can neither run away nor get in many shots with melee weapons. On the other hand, a well disciplined formation of foot will take serious damage at the charge, but if they survive in sufficient numbers, with the horses at a standstill, they can fight on more even footing.....or so I've read. I've not studied this directly, but I've seen this described in a few places (not that I can recall them all instantly). But so often the infantry won't stand and resist the charge but will break....then it gets ugly.

> I suppose Bison or Rhino riders could be dumb enough to charge
> Carmanian cataphracts or Seshnelans knight head-on but I'd hate to
> see the result.

It would be ugly all around....The greater weight of the bison or rhino versus the heavier armor and deadlier weapons of their foes. I expect it would be a bloody affair all around. Probably after the initial clash those with heavier armor and armored mounts would prevail, but I'm not quite sure how the initial clash would work out, especially with rhino riders, who even dying may crush a horse or three through sheer momentum.

--Bryan