Low level HQ

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 03:54:30 -0000

I was interested in a thread from Nov. 2003, when "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" had suggestions about how to kick off a "low level" HQ campaign, with characters that are less "heroic" than the apparent HQ norm.

Has anyone on the list run an HQ campaign where characters have moderate abilities and spend their time in the mundane plane? Any advice for doing it? (Including possibly the simple "Don't".) I know there are sample scenarios for such low-level games, but I'm interested in hearing about experiences involving multiple scenarios or full campaigns.

The reason I ask: I play RPGs with my kids. I am trying to keep game mechanics simple, minimize the amount of Glorantha background the players need to remember, and generally keep the tone light and fun rather than dramatic and heroic. The HQ mechanics look simpler than the system I'm using, and they offer some interesting, principled ways to compress parts of a scenario (by lumping chunks of the scenario into single contests).

But it's possible that overall the HQ system is simply designed for heroes, as the name implies, and low-level campaigns will trip on some aspects of the system. So I'd be interested to hear from HQ narrators who have tried low-level campaigns on how workable it is.

Note that I am not looking for comparisons to other systems -- I can make that call on my own, and I definitely don't want to ignite an extended flame on how past system X is better than HQ.