Re: Balazar

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:21:15 -0000

> [Various excellent and helpful replies snipped.]

In Griffin Mountain, Halcyon is the Aide to the Lunar Minister of Provincial Security. He's an initiate of the Seven Mothers, is pretty smart, and has a magically powerful subordinate (Marusa the Shrew, a Priestess of Jalakeel the Witch).

In Griffin Island, the whole thing was moved to Gateway. So, in the absence of Lunars, Halcyon was made a powerful sorcerer. He was still pretty smart, and had a magically powerful subordinate (Marusa was made a Priestess of the goddess Megaera, with similar powers); I'm pretty sure the authors (no dummies, they) reformed him that way for two reasons: there were few sorcerers in the converted supplements as a whole (because sorcery was introduced in RQ3), and he had no source of backup since there was no Empire off in the wings to pull his fat out of the fire.

I like Allison's point that the most difficult opponent is the canny politician. When I ran Griffin Mountain in RQ3, my players (at the time) were more combat-oriented and chose to go on the offensive as soon as they knew he was a Lunar. So I scrapped a lot of the fun GM roleplaying and borrowed the Griffin Island version. In HQ, I think the social interactions possible are a lot more interesting.

I was more interested in how people have used the Griffin Mountain/Island supplements, and how they used Halcyon var Enkorth, as a sort of yardstick to gauge his NPC value.