Re: Re: Spare Armour

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:44:05 GMT

In message <002901c496b3$0ab65390$e6150a0a_at_SOLOVAY> "Andrew Solovay" writes:

>For that matter, if a Lunar is responsible for his own armor, he might well
>sell off a beaten-up suit and buy a new one from time to time--so once
>again, armor could legitimately go on the market.
>
>Which is to say, having beaten-up armor that looks like it might have come
>off a dead Lunar might not be prima facie evidence of treason and/or
>rebellion. You might be able to get away with wearing it without getting
>crucified.

Why buy the old stuff when there's brand new on the market? There's a mate of mine who works for the army logistics, he can get you anything you want from army surplus - last year's design of centurion helmet for example, he got a enough for a whole regiment a week before they were changed.

If the Lunars go around crucifing everyone who can't explain where they got a bit of armour from there won't be many people left. Not to say that if they're looking to pin a charge on someone that won't do as well as anything else.

>As for broo armor... well, they aren't top-notch craftsmen themselves. I'd
>bet most of *their* armor was stolen from bodies. So it won't look like
>"broo armor" as such--just really old, beaten-up human armor. But you might
>have trouble getting the smell off it.

It'll probably be more than just a smell, all sorts of horrible bits of gunge that are impossible to clean off as well.

In general though I reckon there's a lot of second hand armour (and third and forth) about. It's expensive to make because it's so time consuming which means those who can't afford new will buy old stuff rather than go without. Of course if it's stored somewhere then someone's going to have to check it regularly to make sure it doesn't get rusty or the straps perish.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/