Re: Balazar

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:18:04 -0000

> Hmm, unfortunately some of these things just don't translate.
> I just don't like the misapplied worship rules. Fine, people
> in the world don't see it as paying double points or whatever
> but the players sure do so unless they're really dedicated
> they wouldn't bother joining.

Actually, there's a great reason for "misapplied worship" in this case. Pretty much "all" of the Balazaring holy people will have concentrated their magic in animism. As such, they are unable to learn affinities and feats without threatening their other magic. Even though they pay a few more points for worshipping Tharkantus with ecstatic rites, at least they can do so without robbing themselves of the other powers they gain from Foundchild/etc.

> I wonder if the Lunars and trolls can be combo priests/shamans?
> Maybe the Balazarings can do this too.

If it weren't a (relatively) recently imported religion, then I could see them having some such a technique; trolls have a magic that predates the division of the Metaphysical Worlds, while the Lunars have extensively researched and experimented with dangerous methods to be able to do what they do. The Balazarings just have this cult that a foreigner imported, without all of the social underpinnings that led to its creation/maintenance in his homeland. Hence, I usually lean toward the Tharkantus Practice as opposed to the Yelmalio Cult. YGMV.

> Right, silly me. They're the Majestic Spirits, not the Great
> Spirit. That could just be the "Creator" of the world. I see
> the tradition as not being as structured age-levels wise as
> Grazer practice and of course not as gender divided. Lots
> more cross over in the Votanki tradition.

Agreed. I think the writers were working more off of the Praxian mold anyway. It seems that the only Practice with a gender requirement is Hearth-Mother. Foundchild has no such restriction; one of the sample Master Hunters is a woman and a "Rune Lord" of the Foundchild "cult" (which would make her a practitioner of the Foundchild Practice in HQ parlance, I suppose).

> I tried not to stray too far from GM but it seems to have
> left a lot out so as far as society description goes so I
> felt somewhat free to make changes. Always risky.
> Rigtaina's important too as the mother of the tribes and
> grandmother of citadel founders.

Yeah, even though it had a lot more societal description than most products of its time (anyone remember City-State of the Invincible Overlord?) it still left a lot of blanks, such as the clan names. Some of this detail was filled in in the Griffin Island adaptation. I like some of the material there (such as the "culture" handouts for the "Zarings"). I'd lean towards using much of this material. The charms and fetishes are just pure gold and deserve to be translated to HQ.

> Yep, that's cool. But personally I decided to ignore
> misapplied worship IMG. YGWV. If misapplied worship works for
> you more power to you.

I know they lose access to the Secret and have to spend double the points to gain spirits, but I don't see these as great stumbling blocks, since most of the members will be spiritist citadel guards with a few charms; in any case, to paraphrase the book, anyone who has an urge to learn the "right way" to worship Tharkantus can leave for "one of the famous Sun Dome Temples."