RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:16:45 -0700

John Hughes:

> Kinslaying is a very big taboo. I suspect that judicial
> processes (which are always voluntary and negotiated in
> Heortling society) will tend to break down unless the
> offender has **very** powerful allies who are willing to risk
> staining their own reputation and name. Orlanthi justice
> cannot deal with kinslaying.

Of course, mythically, repairing the damage of kinslaying is *theoretically* possible. Orlanth killed his uncle, the Evil Emperor. Yes, the Emperor had it coming, and yes, the Emperor was stuck-up, obnoxious, tyrannical, boring, and, well, evil. But still, kinslaying is kinslaying.

But "mistakes are made, and fixed." Great Orlanth repaired that breach. Of course, first he had to lose everyone and everything he loved, including his wife. Then he had to abandon his home and die. Then he had to face and defeat himself.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you can pull off a full Lightbringer's Quest, they might forgive you for having killed the chief's kid. And how hard can a LBQ be? Heck, it's been done at *least* half-a-dozen times since the Dawn...