Re: Yelmalian/Orlanthi Clans

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:30:47 -0000

> IMG, the Yelamlio/Elmal/Orlanthi struggles are recent, and have
been played
> out over just a few generations. Under increasing Heartland
influence (and
> perhaps Sartarite new-Yelmalio influence), Yelmalian bloodlines
become more
> inward looking. Their food, contact and marriage taboos mean they
will keep
> to their own lodges, and over time, to their own steads. They tend
to marry
> each other. Their more centralised, patriarchal views of
leadership and
> authority will mean that a few elders on the ring or at the moot
will speak
> on behalf of them all. Some Yelmalians will have adopted a
particular
> cultus with minimal changes to their traditional (Orlanthi) way,
others
> will take on the new traditions, rituals, teachings marriage
preferences
> and magics with gusto, forging a new identity and creating in
effect a clan
> within a clan.

I think once a group within a clan decide that the Sun God that they worship is Yelmalio (and not some Elmal variant), they have defined themselves as being outside the Orlanthi community. Their men don't participate in the Storm Tribe ceremonies - not a problem for different clans, but a huge problem for folk in the same clan. Unlike Elmal, Yelmalio's only role for the Storm Tribe is as an enemy god of the Fire Tribe. Yelmalio is simply outside of and opposed to Orlanth's folk. As a result, I think Yelmalio's tend to create a clan within a clan.

> Like you, I have trouble conceiving how a mixed clan can work.
This is
> probably because it can't. :)

I agree.

Jeff