Re: Karse and Heortland

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:33:52 -0000

I have no problem with this and the next sentence of my post explicitly allowed for it
> > Of course, many were just interested in
> > the potential wealth of an empty land.

> Orlanth is Dead! gives the following
> reasons:
> We hated the Pharaoh
> We split to avoid Kinstrife over the
> Pharaoh
> We loved the Pharaoh and wanted to
> extend his rule into Dragon Pass
> We were adventurous and wanted a
> dangerous new life
> We were poor and wanted to be rich
> It was a new place and we wanted to
> explore it.

This can still easily allow a proportion of 1/6 or more leaving because they hated the changes (religious or cultural) imposed by the Pharoh.

> One could hate the Pharoah for reasons other than being
> a harbringer of cultural change and one could be an ordinary
> Sartarite and still think the Pharaoh was good. A better
> model for hatred or love of the Pharaoh might be to think
> of him as analogous to RW political figures that arouse
> sharp emotions.

IMO, in Glorantha, once you get away from immediate personal knowledge of someone, religious, cultural, political and/or magical issues all merge into mythologically influenced biases. And often, even with direct personal knowledge, mythological biases can direct interactions.

> The fourth and fifth choices indicate that some clans were
> leaving because they were bored with the peace that the
> Pharaoh brought or they were dissatisfied because the peace
> meant they could not alleviate their poverty through traditional
> means (i.e. raiding).

Totally agree.

regards,
Charles