Re: literacy

From: Keith Nellist <Labrygon_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:21:33 -0000

> > Even if your analogy was more accurate, most people would still
> > need an interpreter.
>
> Eh oop, we don't use fancy words like "anal-ogy" an' "inter-
preter"
> roond *these* parts. You some kind of fancy-pants City boy, eh? :-)

If we want an analogy between dialects of English and Orlanthi languages, consider that Sartar is 200years old, the Pelorian side of the Pass was seperated from the Esrolian side about 400years ago.

Australian english is about 200years old, while American English is about 400years old. This gives us a Temple of 'Streuth Mhyate in Jonstown, and the Flame of Sartar being a device for cooking river prawns. It makes the Tarsh Exiles into some sort of confederate rebels, perhaps along the lines of the Dukes of Hazard. The rest of Peloria is spanish speaking with Talastar being unreasonably obsessed with ice hockey. In Heortland, they speak RP english, except for those Volsaxi who wander around bar tat.

Have I stretched this analogy until it shrieks like a toasted walrus?

Keith