RE: Re: literacy

From: Paul Anderson <carlalef_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:02:56 -0400

The noble and exalted City of Aldachur in Tarsh is no part of Sartar's lands. Like the rest of Dragon Pass, we bowed to Tarkalor in his generation, but that is over, and we didn't speak Hill-Tongue then, any more than the Horse-Men of the southern plains.

[My players pick up Tarshite quite fast, enough to make do, but it is a foreign language.]

I don't think Modern English is comparable. By historical standards, English has been stationary for four hundred years. We can read Bacon, but Bacon could not read Layamon, nor Layamon Beowulf.

Even Oz and New England are largely existing English dialects, which happened to flourish overseas.

Paul

>Eh oop, lad, in mah campaigns, Ah s'pose they're 'boot as close as
>English and Yorkshire. Or, at a push, Scots, or Southren. Sod what
>t'Genertela Book says: ye doon't need a fookin' interpreter gang
>north o' t'Creek, lang's ye stay in Sar-tar's lands.
>
>Tha's, Nick

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_...
pmaclanderson_at_...