Re: Re: What's the difference?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:14:50 -0700

> What's the consensus on how difficult it is to progress within the
> Empire without worshipping the Lunar gods. There's quite a bit of
> stuff about which implies that a lot of high-up people are primarily
> worshippers of other gods - e.g from the Yelmic or Rinliddi pantheons.
> Are these people also members of a Lunar cult - maybe at lay member
> level or are political connections enough to get on without joining
> a Lunar cult (which would also imply they aren't Lunar Citizens)?
>
> I'm thinking in the context of the low proportions in ILH1 for
> Lunars - they imply either the Lunar cults are in practice highly
> elitist or that in fact there are a lot of people who are primarily
> one religon but who pay lip service to the Lunar one as well but
> aren't counted in the census figures as Lunars.

It is quite common for people to be "initiate level" in both a "native god" (Dara Happan, Rinliddi, whatever) and a Lunar god appropriate to their occupation. Frex Military officers will worship their Regimental deity (Kastok, Urvairinus, or whoever) and Yanafal Tarnils (to get those promotion opportunities, of course).

Unlike the Heortlings, most people in the Empire do *not* Initiate as a standard thing - they stay at "Communal Worshipper" level most of their lives. And only the *really* pious go for Devotee-level worship.

Lunars are probably more likely to go for the higher magico-religious ranks than the mass of Dara Happans, Rinliddans (Rinliddiots?), Pelandans, etc.

RR
- Richelieu