Re: Re: Fertility... of Babeester Gor

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:18:11 -0800

Gentlefolk,

I am trying to keep watch and intervene only when something strikes me as being wrong. I also hope you will excuse my brevity and understand that it is a combination of limited time and space, and that the text is not final, and other considerations that driver completists and perfectionists mad.

I know some people are distressed when seemingly "fixed facts" are altered by me.
If you are one of them, don't read any further. And oh yea, don't get Thunder Rebels either.

As for Vinga, customs vary.

After several years of exploration and introspection new information about these entities comes to light for me. Writing and coordinating for Thunder Rebels taught me a lot. Looking at things up close always reveals new things and clarifies confusion or obscurity. Sometimes what I first saw takes on new meaning and imagery. Sometimes I see that what what seemed to be so, and what I wrote and published, was wrong or has changed.

The members of the former Earth Family look different.

The differentiation between Ernalda and Esrola is one example in Thunder Rebels. It isn't done to be tricky or arbitrary, to make you squirm or to feel off balance. It is because what I have learned makes it different. I have been showing such change, I think, with the mythologies that were on the MoM, etc. TR is the collected results.

Maran Gor has also undergone some significant clarification. So has her niece, Babeester.

Concerning the fertility thing:
For Babeester Gor [CURRENT TEXT]
Entry Requirements: Women only are allowed. Devotion is required, but a one year trial period is served as an initiate during which aptitudes and attitudes are tested. Members must never love, make love, have sex, become pregnant or even fake affection with anything but their goddess. To be a devotee requires they avoid all physical contact with any living being or thing.

The references that are about BG's fertility, lovers etc are actually about Maran Gor. Or rather, one of her subcults, Erantha Gor, who covers herself with blood for magical protection, drinks ale of their victim's blood, and fights with an ax. Difference with BG: it is normal red blood (not BG's black), the ale is not as magical, and they have a life outside of fighting with an axe.

Why don't I just make this touchless revengeful entity a subcult of MG then, instead of trying to "alter" what's come before? Because they won't let me.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>