Re: Re: Is Tatius The Bright an Imperial Citizen?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:12:52 GMT

In message <ck6gc2+tebo_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>> Isn't that in ILH 1? Page 17 seems to cover it?
>>
>> "Requirements: candidates must worship a Lunar cult, and need a
>> sponsor, who guarantees the quality of their character with his own
>> reputation, fame, position, and money. Upon acceptance, they must
>> swear an oath never to harm the Goddess or her Empire, tithe from
>> all income to a Lunar cult or directly to the Emperor; attend
>> regular meetings of the citizenry; support the Empire in every way;
>> and in general act as a good citizen."
>>
>> oh, and: "Lunar worshippers may choose to remain in their original
>> religion as well as long as no conflict with the Lunar Way occurs."
>>
>> There's a mention on p13 that on retirement from a Lunar regiment in
>> the army, "they are also entitled to apply for Imperial Citizenship".
>
>The thing is, would Tatius, a pompus Yelmie so and so deign to
>worship the Lunar pantheon (probably I guess) - and if all you have
>to be is a communal worshipper, then I would tender that most people
>that reside in the bounds of the Lunar empire and offer communal
>sacrafice would qualify pushing up the percentages in ILH1.

My interpretation is that the sponsor is key, the vast majority of Lunar residents don't know a Citizen well enough for that person to sponsor them. So they may attend sevices regularly but unless they draw the attention of the Priestess's in a favourable manner and become known for assisting the temple they don't get sponsored. Of course in a family like the Assiday's there will be Citizens to sponsor family members.

There may also be local interpretations such as a DH peasant who applies to be a Citizen obviously doesn't know his place so can't be a good citizen.

All good fun for a PC to get past local prejudices, build up contacts and become a citizen of the Empire.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/