RE: Re: Where are they now?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:01:32 -0700

John thusly:

> So was, say, Mostal's fate when he was killed different from
> Yelm's when he was killed? What determined which Gods
> returned to 'active duty' and which ones stayed dead?

Just at a guess--It seems to me like there are four broad categories for what happens to a god (or great spirit, etc.) in the Darkness.

  1. He never dies. Pretty rare, though (e.g.) I don't think Kyger Litor or Waha ever died.
  2. He dies and is devoured by chaos. Gone completely, possibly even including his name and memory.
  3. He dies (perhaps even killed by chaos) but isn't entirely devoured. He went to the underworld in the Great Darkness. He returns with the Great Compromise, but in Time he spends part of his time dead. (e.g. Yelm dies every night and is reborn at dawn, Ernalda dies in the winter and is reborn in the Sacred Time.)
  4. He is dismembered, possibly including dying, but possibly not. The Great Compromise alone is not enough to put a disassembled god back together. Until the god is reassembled, he's not in business. When he *is* reassembled, he may well be outside the Compromise, since he wasn't in Hell when it was hammered out.

Examples of #4 include: Rufelza (re-assembled by the Seven Mothers, does not consider herself bound by the Compromise) and Genert (not yet reassembled, but they're working on it). Oh, and Thanatar, but chaos gods are different anyway.

So Mostal may fall into that category. Being a machine, he was never exactly "alive" in the first place--but in any event, he's busted. Pieces are dented, some are missing (like the Spike), some were shoved in backwards, some are being pushed *way* beyond manufacturer's recommended tolerances. The Mostali are working on getting it straightened out, but until they do, Mostal is down.