Re: Birds of War?

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:39:23 -0000

Well, my view is that even if most Rinliddi aren't fliers or avilry, this is the mythically dominant approach. Thus, I see the standard Rinliddi style of spear as being a medium-length weapon, long enough to reach down from a tall bird or in low flight, but short enough that it can be swung as well as stabbed and used either one- or twohanded.  The blade is longer than the usual and also configured also for the cut, with long, sharp side edges. In some ways, they might be considered glaives, and if one-handed use were not an issue, they might have evolved into heavier, point-plus-poleaxe bills like a bardiche.

In battle, I think they are used a little like lances in the cava/avilry assault, as spears in the first rush for infantry, and then stabbing and cutting alike in the melee, while Rinliddi heroes jump around, stabbling, slashing, dodging and riposting, but always with agility and aplomb!

All the best

Mark