Re: Birds of War?

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:16:34 -0400

Mark Galeotti

> Well, my view is that even if most Rinliddi aren't fliers or avilry,
> this is the mythically dominant approach. Thus, I see the standard
> Rinliddi style of spear as being a medium-length weapon, long enough
> to reach down from a tall bird or in low flight, but short enough
> that it can be swung as well as stabbed and used either one- or two-
> handed. The blade is longer than the usual and also configured also
> for the cut, with long, sharp side edges. In some ways, they might
> be considered glaives, and if one-handed use were not an issue, they
> might have evolved into heavier, point-plus-poleaxe bills like a
bardiche.

> In battle, I think they are used a little like lances in the
> cava/avilry assault, as spears in the first rush for infantry, and
> then stabbing and cutting alike in the melee, while Rinliddi heroes
> jump around, stabbling, slashing, dodging and riposting, but always
> with agility and aplomb!

My first reaction to all this was to think - if one weapon could do all these good things, why didn't anyone use them historically?

Then I remembered that there is a historical example which fits a lot of this - the Japanese Naginata (looking much like a curved sword on the end of a stick). I've seen pictures of armoured warriors using them from horseback. By some accounts samurai class women were trained to use them in self-defence - the sword-like blade was suitable to their rank, and the pole cancelled out the disadvantage of reach they might otherwise have had.

Andrew