Re: Describe your campaign. What are people playing these days?

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:18:59 -0000

Well, here's a response largelt ported over from a similar thread in the HQ forum over at The Tavern (http://tavern.zunder.org.uk/). We tend to slip in and out of several campaigns, but here we go:

In SARTAR, Simon Bray's long-running game of Heortling adventure set amongst the Lismelder most of the time, run albeit with extended sojourns in the Far Place. Eorkan the wily Issaries trader, Borin the lustful Yinkini, Cutrid the Black (chieftain of the Deadwood clan)...

In TARSH, a very dark co-narrated game of organised crime in the backstreets of Furthest. It did get very downbeat, very quickly (let me put it this way, when I wasn't narrating, my character was an exiled Kralori warrior who collected scraps of skin from everyone he killed... and he was by no means the most maladjusted of the characters).

In the Empire, a rather short-lived campaign in MIRIN'S CROSS, with some of the characters from Furthest, and some new ones (including arguably my most wilfully irritating character, 'Smiling Shura' the penny ante conman).

The CHAR-UN, of course! Bloodthirsty playtesting for Sons of Kargzant and great fun.

In ESVULAR, a game of hijinks and animal followers (my young knight is very attached to Lionel, the Melancholy Bull), which started quite light and low-level in Caldvale Manor (since published in Tradetalk) but has since become rather darker and more serious, with conspiracies, Godforgot revivals and the rest. We've just discovered a hidden heir to the throne and vowed to see her crowned... This was, of course, playtest for the Unspoken Word Esvular book (which may now, sadly, never see the light of day).

Swashbuckling pirate adventure at SEA, currently in Fonrit. Recently, we managed to escape from a rotating fortress full of God Learner artifacts being blasted by a floating sky-city. You know how it is. Of course, we held to what was important: the character playing a criminal mastermind went for the magical crystal skull, while my debonair womaniser instead rescued the entire harem!

We've dabbledi in BALAZAR, befriended demon-dogs in Darran Simm's TARSH BORDERLANDS and done a little bit of PAVIS (not, I will confess, much of a favourite of mine, but I enjoyed playing a Rinliddi remittance man with his avilry mount).

And soon, we should be wandering into MYTHIC RUSSIA...

All the best

Mark