Re: Re: Describe your campaign. What are people playing these...

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:15:39 EDT

I had a look through my copies of the Sartar Rising series to see if I had used them (I mean in the 'in an actual game' context rather than 'read and enjoyed' which could be also be considered a good a use.

>From Barbarian Adventures: I've referred to the Kingdom of Sartar essay in
two instances. I've used the Sample Resources as a guide for similar situations that were not in Sartar (or in the third age for that matter), and the clan councils three times. I've used some ideas from the clan activities list, and I played in a Cattle Raid scenario.

>From OiD: I've been through the Clan Generator three times in various
formats. I used huge chunks of the Heortling Warfare essay as is. I have not run Iceland.

>From Gathering Thunder - well, I've not had it that long and so even though
I've used nothing directly I do not consider that buying it was just for the enjoyment of reading it.

I would think that it would be impossible to 'use' all of these books in some literal way - look at the episode seeds for That's Entertainment (BA p31) and consider how long it would take to run through each seed. They are inspiration and ideas.

Books such as MoLaD stand even less chance of being 100% directly utilised - how could anyone use all the ideas contained in it or join all those Hero Bands? Or visit all the places in Dragon Pass?

Keith