Re: Re: Tattoos: practical, quest-generated, or a bit of both?

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:49:30 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2004-10-25-1840.

bethexton_at_... wrote:
> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_y...> wrote:
> > > Well, but everyone managed to get their hands on it
> > > soon afterwards
> > > (probably through trickster - you know how *he*
> > > is!).
> >
> > Issaries probably taught them. For a small fee :)
>
> Or he taught them for free.....then starting selling the best quills
> and inks for use in the process :)

Quills!!??!!
Quills are NOT used for making tattoos! 8-0

You need very sharp needles to make tattoos.

We have an annual International Tattoo convention at the venue I work at that is very interesting. As it is not only the designs that matter but the almost ritualistic way that the tattoos are applied. The inks are special and are rare with blessings upon them. The needles that are used have to be handled in a special way with strict procedures in place on whom can touch, participate and recieve them (Health and Safety rules!) With the traditional 'Iban' hand applied tattoos the recipient feels no pain as such and the gentle rhythmic tapping of the needle (helped by conducive enviromental surroundings such as music and incense) induces an almost trance-like state of mind. Most recipients feel relaxed, stupefied or released at the hands of the master tattoo artist and his assistant.

To see examples of the work I saw done by the Borneo Headhunters goto: www.borneoheadhunters.com/gallery.html

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2004-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even Death may die." - H.P.Lovecraft