Re: Praxian climate

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

        If 44"/yr seems too much, even with the explanation that it comes as mostly unabsorbable torrents, then convert it to 44cm/yr. That should tone the growth down considerably. However, I'm just as happy with the winter downfall/summer drought/wildfire explanation, too.

        Now, the corollary to this is that sensible farmers now in the ZF valley will be making serious collective efforts to corral that rain into cisterns and ponds for irrigation to get their crops and livestock through Fire Season. Pavis and Sun County have presumably already done this, and Garhound is probably well on the way. There's plenty of crops that can take the heat, as long as they've got the water.

        Nomads should have seen that for the creeping invasion of their land that it is. They should be making serious efforts (once they realise that this isn't just producing more crops to steal) to reduce the ability of the newest settlers to expand their fields. I mean, with enough grain to spare, those wretched groundcrawlers could import (gasp)... horses!

        Fortunately for the settlers, nomads don't organise worth a damn.

Alison

Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now. http://messenger.yahoo.com