Moon Boat questions

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:53:26 -0700

A couple of wacky questions out of nowhere, to satisfy my idle curiosity.
  1. Can moon boats only travel inside the Glowline, or can they travel outside the Glowline when there's a full moon? (1a. Can they travel in the Glowspot? e.g., could the Crimson Bat be followed by a moon boat cargo ship, carrying cultists, goods, etc.?)
  2. Does a moon boat suffer damage when it's "beached" (outside the glowline, and not in the full moon)? Are they built to always be in the air, or can they be landed and powered-down safely?
  3. How far can a moon boat travel in a day? (Does that depend on the size of the moon boat and/or magic skill of the crew?)

Question 3 is really the question I'm interested in. It seems to me that there would be two distinct lunar "borders" for strategic purposes: a. Areas within round-trip distance--the moon boat can leave the glowline, get to the place, and turn around and get back into the glowline, all within a single full-moon day; and b. Areas within one-way distance--the moonboat can get there in a single full moon, but then has to wait a week before its return voyage. But that assumes moon boats *can* travel outside the Glow Line (and that they're not relying on, say, some hinky Yara Aranis magic to fly. And if moonboats are damaged by being beached, they can presumably only make round-trip voyages outside the Glowline--though they could make emergency one-way trips if bringing some vitally important person or cargo, if it's worth damaging a boat over.