RE: Moon Boat questions

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:26:32 -0700

Jane Williams [mailto:janewilliams20_at_...]

> > >(1a. Can they travel in the Glowspot? e.g., could the
> Crimson Bat be
> > >followed by a moon boat cargo ship, carrying cultists,
> goods, etc.?)
> >
> > Yup. I would be worried by the wake.
>
> The WW list did some slightly tongue-in-cheek calculations on
> this subject a while back. Even with a slow wing-beat and a
> half-fed (and
> half-size) Bat, you get sonic booms off the wing-tips on each flap.

But according to the old "Cults of Terror", even the tiny glowspot of a half-starved peacetime Bat has a radius of 4 km; a fully-fed wartime Bat has a glowspot radius of 20km. I'd say that even a 4km glowspot is more than big enough for a moonboat to follow safely with not much turbulence; it can close the distance when the Bat lands (or swoop around and come in from the side. And, of course, the moonboat could always *lead* the way instead of following. I mean, who's going to attack a moonboat when they can see the Bat following?