RE: "Star Watch" - from when to when?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:13:31 +1100

>Jane:
>
>You have enough Rigsdali around to do that? I thought it was a fairly
>rare cult?

That's my understanding as well. I've used the star watch

  1. At Lagerwater stead in the Tovtaros wilderness on the edge of Snakepipe, which is more like Fort Apache than most Dragon Pass steads. See

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/lagerwater.html#palisade

There we had only a few Rigsdali, the Elmali reeve, and some good folk drawn to the solitude and quiet for a variety of psychological and spiritual reasons. The viingan helped out, mainly to bond with key political Elmali, but (to the *enormous* displeasure of said Elmali), started using value trollkin as night watch as well. But then, it seems that vingans and elmali only bond when they're arguing - the old mythical rivalry-constant help thingee.

b) At the siege of Whitewall, where obviously its a key part of the defense and where watchers are drawn from *all* the defenders, plus Umbroli from the Air Temple. I used the idea here that the star watch can get pretty nasty - all sorts of Lunar irregulars and magical surprises that come upon the walls by night - and that the star watch is used as a testing ground for potential combat leaders. So if you want to win the day-glory of herodom and meet the enemy in (rare) one-to-one combat before the walls, you first have to first prove yourself by volunteering for the star watch.

> > For most Orlanthi, the star watch is simply the time to be
> > asleep, major rituals and feasts aside.
>
>Which is not dusk till dawn. Unless you drank FAR too much before dusk.

No, but major rituals begin with all-night preparation.

>Anyone else? Or is this a purely John term?

Don't have ST with me, but I'm pretty sure its in the Rigsdal writeup. Its just that's its been more important to me in the particular environments I game in. And its a great locale for a certain type of adventure...

Cheers

John